This is what I make when I miss Costa Rica. Soooo I make it every day : )
- 1 cup water + some shredded coconut to make coconut water
- OR coconut water FROM THE INSIDE OF A COCONUT*
- 2 dates** (less necessary if using coconut water)
- large handful of greens (kale, spinach, arugula, micro...)
- large handful of frozen mango (because we're not in Costa Rica anymore)
- 1/2 or whole lemon or lime (peeled)
- an inch or so of peeled fresh ginger
- turmeric (a few good shakes, or an inch or so of the root, if you've got it)
- a couple shakes of cinnamon
- ground schisandra berry (a teeny, tiny amount)
Put it all in the blender. Put some bee pollen on top because it's so pretty.
* I love coconut water. I love it so much. I don't love it when it's been pasteurized and packaged. In a pinch I'll drink Harmless Harvest, but it's still been put inside a plastic bottle. If you have a good knife and a little chutzpah, you can open your own fresh coconuts (in L.A. I found them for cheap at Thai grocery stores; in NYC and D.C. I buy them for not-as-cheap from Whole Foods). Another option: Make coconut water for your smoothies with shredded coconut and dates for a little sweetness.
** I soak a bunch of dates overnight and then keep the wet ones on hand to use in smoothies. The blender likes them so much better and they're easier to digest. I keep my dates, soaked or unsoaked, in the fridge, and I buy them in bulk here.